Hey, so y’all missed me?
It has been so long since I’ve written a post on this blog. I don’t know exactly why but here we are. What have I been doing since we last spoke?
Growing up. Getting wiser. Paying bills. Coping with anxiety. Learning. Always learning.
I am not going to dive into all of the muck and the jewels of the past couple of years. That’s not why I’ve decided to begin writing this blog again. I can’t promise I will always be consistent. I can promise I will peek in again. I can promise I will post as much as I can when I can.
My life is going to change and I can’t call it yet. I have no idea where I will be or what I will become in the next few months, let alone year. I can only say that for an anxious person, this is the most calm about uncertainty that I have ever been. I’m doing the best that I can to be better than I was the day before. I’m doing the best I can to keep my head above water. I have faith things will work out the way they need to. I will be okay.
Sometimes the Universe has to make you uncomfortable for you to wake up.
Things I have been doing since we last spoke:
- I am still developing and editing Fried Eggs and Rice: An Anthology by Writers of Color on Food. I have a group of talented and fantastic writers who have the patience of saints. I admittedly, have avoided all creative work during COVID-19 (which is why I think the Universe was like… oh hell naw, get moving girl!). This project is super important to me and I know it will be successful.
- Of course, I am still running the Boricongo Book Gang , an online book club that focuses on the works of writers of color.
- I have become obsessed with the flash fiction form and have a few pieces I have been needling on (though this is another facet of my creative work I have been avoiding since COVID-19 hit the U.S.). I might start posting some of that work here. Let’s see.
- I will be facilitating some workshops and webinars in the near future. I ain’t letting the cat outta the bag until things are secured, but that’s the plan. Working on it. Stay tuned.
- Though all the ickies of imposter syndrome has hindered me in the past, at the encouragement of my sister-friends and at the divine nudging of the Universe, I have begun AIR Edits, a platform with my editing rates and I have been able to clearly define my editing style. I am not the typical editor and I don’t want to be.
- I will be sporadically posting 5-question interviews with creatives called “Dame Un Chin.” These will be the same five questions: Why [insert artform/genre]? What has told you no and has failed in deterring you? What has told you yes and fostered growth in your work? What are three things you wish you had known when first starting? What’s coming up for you? This is a goal and not a definite. Let’s see. Comment if you’d like to see this happen.
All of this in the middle of working full-time and trying to survive through a global pandemic and a shit show of a country. We’ve ALL been coping (or avoiding) to deal with all the things. I hold mad space for that. I am trying to hold space for myself.
My mid-year vision board says in bold print “Stop beating yourself up.” So with that being said, I won’t doubt this can happen and happen well. I can only move forward and do.
Also….. make sure y’all vote this year please. PLEASE.